Thursday, March 6, 2014

Dreamy Superreal Photos by Erik Johansson

How intriguing are artists with very vivid minds? I think that artists are the dreamers in our society, but there are few (in my opinion) who are experts at showing us what is going on in their head. I love to celebrate these individuals.

Erik Johansson, a Swede living in Berlin, is a full time photographer and "retoucher". I love how that is now an official job title. :) How many hours did I spend tweaking and retouching photos in Photoshop back in my teens... too bad I didn't stick with it!

I will admit that I'm not a fan of typical retouched photos. I feel like it's not fair to take a picture of a lake and transform it into something it's not. To me, that's what retouching has become; "enhancing" a photo to the point of falsity.

However, Erik's work is just absolutely incredible. He is a master at his craft of turning a photograph into something it's not, and on purpose.




Here's a behind-the-scenes video followed by the finished product:













And to top it all off, Erik did a great Ted Talk in London in 2011:


*Discovered on Illusion
**Photos from Erik Johansson

No comments:

Post a Comment