Thursday, January 16, 2014

Staircase Mosaics in San Francisco

I have a secret passion for mosaics. Unfortunately I don't get the opportunity to make my own pieces anymore because I can't find the proper supplies where I live (damn Latin America), but that doesn't hold me back from admiring amazing pieces from others!

This staircase is truly STUNNING. Can you believe that it took the artists, working with 300 volunteers, over 2.5 years to complete?!?!?! The amazing minds behind the designs were Aileen Barr (Ireland) and Colette Crutcher. The project was inspired by Jorge Selarón's staircase in Rio de Janeiro. The project was finally completed and revealed in 2005.

Even more awesome is the fact that there are two matching staircases now, one newly completed just a few months ago (I think?). So one is on 16th Ave. and Moraga Street and the other is on 16th Ave. and Kirkland.

Take a look!

16th and Moraga

Source
Source
Source
Source
16th and Kirkland

Source
Source
Source
Source
Source
Source
*Discovered by Street Art Utopia

No comments:

Post a Comment