Sunday, March 8, 2009

"My grandfather will pay your father 10,000 camels if you will be my wife"

That was my highest bid. Pretty proud of myself for that one... apparently camels go for about $6,000 so I think my dad would be pretty happy with $60 million. And we've got plenty of land for it now that they live in the country. Honestly, I should have taken him up on his offer.

Today was our last day in Israel. We visited old Jerusalem and did the Delorosa, which is the walk that Christ took with his cross after being persecuted on his way to his death. Again, kinda-sorta a tourist trap since that was 2000 years ago and tons of buildings have been built over the area as well as the fact that the area has been destroyed multiple times by many different groups over the 2000 years. But nevertheless, the Catholics had a hayday.

I know I sound really sarcastic but I have thoroughly enjoyed everything I have experienced and learned about the old times of Jesus and the immense history here. I really just feel that they have idolatrized (I think I just made that word up) so much of the history here. When I say "they", I mean the centuries of people who have lived here since Jesus' time.  Each religion that follows one God and believes in Jesus wants to claim these holy spots as their own. And then there are other religions that want to blow it all up. So there have been buildings built over all of these spots multiple times and destroyed multiple times. Of course that alters the true history and now it's difficult to know what to believe. 

All in all, I believe that God is everywhere. He is not only in the Wailing Wall or on the stone that Jesus was supposedly buried on. He is everywhere and in everything. So I find it very difficult to come to these places and pray on these holy areas and get very emotional at these particular places that Jesus apparently walked through. Nothing is SACRED here. That is my point (sorry it took me a while to come to). We're at the stations of the cross in the old streets of Jerusalem, and there are street vendors and kids all over trying to sell you things. Here you are trying to respect the area that Jesus met his mother and it's just impossible to do. Again, Israel is not what I expected - I think I held it up high and didn't realize that it is still a functioning city and business still runs. 

Well my computer is about to poop out on me so I've got to cut this short. Sorry if it's a little choppy - I don't have time to edit it.

I'm in Tel Aviv tonight, by myself, so lonely :(. I'm heading to Paris in the morning - yeaaaaaaaa Anne!

Love!

1 comment:

  1. I just hope that the suitor whose generous proposal you turned down didn't curse you with "And may the fleas of 10,000 camels infest your armpits." They must really believe Americans to be stupid. The Muslim culture allows men to "marry" someone for just a night of casual sex, but they do have to pay a "fair" amount the next day when they cancel the "marriage", so that's prostitution to us, but totally legal to them. Had you taken up his offer, you might have gotten one camel in the deal with no way to get it back home. Good call. Camels spit. Horses don't.
    It's a shame they have commercialized the religious tourism to the point of being obnoxious. I don't think God or Jesus would be too happy about that, seeing as Jesus made a whip and chased the animals and money changers out of His temple. There is no temple now in Jerusalem, but it is the holiest spot on earth. The Dome of the Rock (Muslim mosque) is not God's temple.

    ReplyDelete